Saturday, August 1, 2009

How do I prepare a trip planner?

One of my friend asked how do I prepare a trip planner? That very question kindled my thought why not write a blurb about it. Though it is not rocket science, I thought of providing the steps I use to prepare a trip planner. I use Excel and then I upload it to Google docs. If you don't have Excel, use Google docs (spreadsheet) to create one. (Note: You have to spend quite sometime in identifying what places to visit from various other sites.)

Steps:
  • Collect all the places in the Excel sheet. My recommendation is to use the official website, if available. In this step, you simply collect the list places and information about those. I use the following template (Click here for a sample template):
    1. Name (attraction, place or event)
    2. Priority - Must to see attractions have less priority
    3. Cost - Adult and child. For child, I add age information as well
    4. Address
    5. Notes - Directions from official website, tour times, restrictions, phone number, URL, public transportation information, etc
    6. Plan - My planned order of visit
  • Research on worthiness from various sites and your interest. Using this information to assign priority to the attraction. You can use reviews from popular travel sites to come up with the appropriate priority. Best source is word of mouth - Talk to your friends, families and colleagues, if they have already visited these places. Sometimes photos from other sites would be deceptive, so check whether your friends have album. This would give you some idea as what shots (if any) look best, unless you are a "pro."
  • Once you have prioritized the places, add these to Google or other map websites. Adjust the order so that you don't shuttle back and forth between attractions. Tour time information should also factor in to the order. I leave adequate buffer between the timed tours, because of Murphy's law. (E.g., sometimes the traffic may be heavy, you might miss to take correct exit, wrong directions from website, etc). Now a days, I take GPS with me, so that if I have extra time, then I can visit next high priority attraction(s).
Planning helps me to save time, gas and frustration during the trips. Hope you find these useful. I would love to receive your comments/suggestions.
Plans are nothing; planning is everything. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Happy Traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment